The Reason Stupid Middle-Class People Defend Millionaires

Have you ever wondered why middle class folks would stick up for multi-millionaires getting tax breaks, when these rich cats outright lie about needing those tax breaks to create jobs -- leaving you and me to cover what they don't pay? Even after it's been proven time and again that trickle-down economics don't actually work?

It's because they believe that one day, through a system of working their way up the corporate ladder, they themselves will be rich. They sleep with visions of yachts and champagne-filled flutes. They just know that, if they stick with it, God himself will deliver unto them wealth and fortune. And when they are, they don't want their hard earned money taken by the poor and disenfranchised. 

That's not to say they like paying taxes while they're middle class -- they hate it. What's funny is that they don't realize that they are middle class. Sure, they see it on paper when they get their paychecks, but in their heads and hearts, they're tomorrow's millionaires. They don't realize that they're getting slammed with more taxes than they'd have to pay if they wised up and realized that the rich should be responsible for their fair share of taxes. 

As much as I hate those Fight-Club-quoting holier-than-thou pricks who think they have the world figured out because they saw Brad Pitt play a nihilist in a mesh Hustler shirt and think pithy self destruction mottos make you intelligent, there's quote from that film that is absolutely true:
"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. "
I am a product of the American Dream TM, but I'm not deluded. I have worked very hard and now, I do pretty alright for myself. But I do not confuse having a comfortable life with thinking I'm wealthy. I drive a beat up white pickup truck and pay cash for what I own. I don't lease new cars or buy 3-series BMWs (or, as I like to call them, "The official vehicle of the $30,000 Millionaire") to keep up some bullshit status I don't actually have. I don't spend beyond my means (because I used to and I know exactly how much trouble that will get you into), and I don't own a home I can't afford. 

I fucking hate paying taxes. Everyone does. We all work hard; we all want to keep what we got. What the Millionaire-defending Middle Class doesn't get is that, by deferring the 1%'s taxes, the other 99% have to take up the slack -- and when it comes to wealth, that 99% doesn't have 99% of the wealth to spend. In fact, the top 1% own 36% of the wealth in America. And yet, they're advocating Mitt Romney, a candidate who paid 13% income tax on an estimated $230 million in wealth.

Why? Because in their heads, they're the next Mitt. Hey, it could happen. This is America, right? Work hard, pay your dues, and some day off in the future, you'll be rich too. Too bad it's a day that you can't actually envision because you have absolutely no plan to get there. But when they there -- not if, because this is AMERICA and you're guaranteed your DREAM -- you don't want to be stuck with a bigger bill than the plebs beneath you. You worked hard. You deserve a (tax) break.

Fucking bullshit. 

While I hate paying taxes and refuse to do so with a smile on my face, I don't advocate deferment from my tax bracket. I accept that I make a decent living, and should throw into the national kitty accordingly. I pay for the schools in my state, even though I don't have children. I fund medicare and medicaid, even though I'm not on those benefits. I pay to improve roads I'll never drive on. I fund the EMS and Fire departments that service neighborhoods I don't live in. Because that's part of having a working and functioning society. Even Jesus Christ knew that back when he was alive, saying "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's..." 

Next time you're arguing with a Middle Class Millionaire, take a minute to read between the lines. Is this person attempting to argue their current state, or the state of a position they long to be in? 

(An interesting corollary: it's no accident that the vast majority of Middle Class Millionaires I've run into are also self-professed Christians. Apparently, belief in a divine reward guaranteed you by promises based on pure belief transcends into finances as well. Sad that they choose this line of thinking instead of the one actually taught and professed by Jesus, which advocated tending to the sick and needy.)

From my Facebook pal Paul Cummings: Check out the Horatio Alger myth