Shit Consumers Say

"You have too much time on your hands."

This means: I cannot conceptualize working on things that don't directly pay me an hourly wage, because I bought what was sold to me in public school and am a good worker bee.

"Get a life."

This means: my life sucks and I wish yours did too, because I can't handle that you found something you love and I haven't.

"It's a nice hobby, but you won't make a living at it..."

This means: If I can't figure out a way to make a living at it, you can't either. Give up.


This is the kind of shit I heard my entire teenage and young adult life. This is the language of Consumers. Now, we are all consumers in some form or another, as we all buy things we need. There are a very select few on this earth who make everything they need. But for the vast majority of us, we are buying food, buying soap, and buying clothes.

The difference with a Consumer, however, is THAT'S ALL THEY DO. Their existence is spent consuming. They produce nothing that isn't waste. They work at jobs to buy things. They buy their entertainment. They buy their happiness.

And they want you to be just like them.

There's something about being trapped on the ground that compels people to invent ways to shoot birds out of the sky. They are jealous. They see you working on things of your own design and they judge it, because they themselves are experts in what they will consume. They can't understand that what you do isn't for them.

They have to picture whatever it is you make in a shiny package with lots of Photoshopped logotype and effects because that's what it takes to get their attention. They can't understand the process, and why it is so magical. Because they don't make. They consume and turn whatever they devour into shit.

I used to get combative about it. "Where were YOU when the page was blank?" I'd ask. Now, I just feel sorry for them; for they will never know the magic of making something that doesn't get flushed down a toilet.

One of my favorite quotes of all time by Why The Lucky Stiff says it all:

"When you don't create things, you become defined by your tastes rather than ability. Your tastes only narrow & exclude people. So create."

(A caveat: if you ever intend to sell what you make to them, you'll need to understand them. Just try not to become them in the process.)