On Disappointment

"Disappointment is your own fault. You expected too much."

A person I considered a friend told me that once. I thought he was an asshole. Turns out, he's right. If you don't want to be disappointed, don't expect so much. That's not pessimistic, it's realistic. If someone disappoints you, it's because they didn't live up to your expectations.

They're YOUR expectations. Don't make them so high next time, you won't be disappointed.

But then, you'll also never be rewarded for anything, ever. It's called trust. And the more of that you have, the more opportunity you have to have that trust rewarded. And the more risk you have of disappointment.

And that's how things like being taken advantage of happen to me, because my entire methodology in life is to first do what I can for things and people I believe in, and then see where it takes me. I do favors first, without being asked. I offer. I give.

Nine times out of ten, I'm rewarded with a new friendship, and when I'm really lucky it becomes an old friendship.

And every so often, someone takes me for all I'm worth. And I'm disappointed in them. My fault. I shouldn't do that.

I'm still going to.