How You Know You're An Adult, #1771829: Being Sick

For those wondering, when I do these "How Blah Blah Blah: #1891917" posts, I just slap the keyboard and then delete the letters to get that number. No, there's not a bunch of others. Well, sometimes there are. It depends on the topic. But for the most part, I'm just trying to be all clever and whatever.

It rarely works. Maybe that's "How You Know You're An Adult, #1771830: When You Realize You're Not Actually Clever." But this one is #1771829: Being Sick.

I'm sick right now. I'm very, very sick, actually. I felt a cold coming on last Saturday, and began the usual "KILL IT! KILL IT NOW!" regimen of zinc (200mg a day), orange juice, DayQuil and Muscinex. It seemed to be working, as Sunday I was feeling just fine again. I was able to train with my team for the Tough Mudder which is taking place this weekend. We had a great training, and it was a lot of fun.

Monday, I flew to New York for the day. When I got home, I felt like a truck hit me. I went to bed, woke up, and realized I really needed to see a doctor if I was going to avoid becoming a human sickness factory. So I went, and I got a prescription for antibiotics, a strong decongestant, and two shots in the bum -- one antibiotic, one steroid.

I haven't had shots in my butt since I was a child. Maybe that's #1771831: You Stop Getting Shots In Your Ass. But yeah, the shots went in, and I went to the gym that night and felt a bit better. I trained through the buzz that was beginning to build in my chest and my sinuses, and felt like everything was going to be alright.

Wednesday, I got up early and flew to Los Angeles. I felt alright. I stayed on my meds, along with the DayQuil and Zinc and Orange Juice. We had some meetings, a fine dinner and went to sleep.

When I woke up Thursday, it felt like the truck that hit me Tuesday sped out of Atlanta as fast as it could, drove cross-country and without stopping slammed right into my face. I couldn't breathe. My sinuses and chest were jam-packed with crap. My cranium felt like someone poked an air compressor into both ears and left it on all night.

We did our meetings, and right before each one (4 total), I'd visit the bathroom, hork up crap from my chest, blow my nose and drink a whole green tea from whatever coffee shop happened to be nearby. It was enough to get me through. At 4PM, one of my companions took me back to our hotel, where I crashed until 6AM the next morning to fly out.

The flight Friday was horrible. I wrote a bit about the experience itself yesterday, but being sick on top of it certainly didn't help anything. When my wife picked me up in the afternoon, we went and picked up dinner, came home, and I ate and fell right asleep.

And that leads to now, where I'm sitting here trying to keep post-nasal drip from falling into the keyboard of my laptop. And it strikes me that when I was a kid, I would have loved to have come down with a cold during all those meetings and this weekend for the Tough Mudder, because it means I get to play the new release Dragon Age 2 all week.

But as an adult, it's been hell. I can't play Dragon Age 2. But more than that, I don't WANT to play Dragon Age 2. I mean, I do, but not at the expense of other stuff that means a lot more. And I guess that's the difference I'm talking about. When I was a kid, nothing mattered more than an entire day of video game playing. Nothing.

Now, I have all this responsibility and ambition and whatnot. I've trained like crazy for the Tough Mudder tomorrow. I'm actually supposed to cover the event for AOLNews. But I can barely sit up for longer than 20 minutes at a time. In fact, I started writing this at 7AM after sleeping nearly 12 hours, thinking it was probably time I get something done. It's noon now. It's not that long a thing.

Being an adult sucks. And it sucks not just because of the stuff you have to do. You can easily just stop having to do that stuff -- just stop caring.

It's the caring that sucks so much.