Yet More Advice On Writing (When Will It Stop??)

My friend Alec pointed me to this article by Charlie Brooker on writing advice. It's written far more cleverly than I could ever hope to write, and ends with one heck of a brilliant point (I'm about to quote the final paragraph of the piece, so if you hate spoilers, tough shit):
To everyone who has ever emailed to ask me for advice on writing, my answer is: get a deadline. That's all you really need. Forget about luck. Don't fret about talent. Just pay someone larger than you to kick your knees until they fold the wrong way if you don't hand in 800 words by five o'clock. You'll be amazed at what comes out.

He's 100% right.

I can't think of a single thing I've ever written that didn't have some threat of physical or emotional pain attached to it before it finally squeezed its way out of my tiny little brain. But I also think this is optimal for me. I don't operate at my "best" until I get out of my own way and let the work actually flow. To completely butcher something Jeff Buckley once said: it's only in the 4th quarter when you're exhausted that the moves you make are pure and from your soul. You're not thinking anymore, you're just acting and reacting, and that's where we determine what we're worth.

I'm always in the 4th quarter. Which is why half the shit I write, say, think or do comes out all weird and desperately needs editing. But it gets out there, dammit.