5.27.2010

I Dreamed A Dream

I hadn't had a nightmare since I was about 13 years old, until last night. And it was a stupid nightmare.

I define "nightmare" as a terrifying dream. Not a "night terror" - that's a wholly different thing. To me, bad dreams are just unpleasant things that happen while dreaming. Nightmares, however, induce fear. And last night's nightmare found me in my upstairs hallway. None of the lights would turn on, and none of the doors would open. I couldn't go anywhere. And there was a voice booming in my head yelling "NO." Over and over, like a techno song.

I can't make heads or tails of it. Nothing truly insane appeared or happened. Just that. And the entire time it was happening, I was utterly terrified. Paralyzed with fear, even.

I can't explain it. But it's stuck with me all day, half because of what it was (and that I can't figure it out), and half because it's the first time in 20 years that I have had one.

Which is why I'll probably be up all night tonight, playing Red Dead: Redemption. Come join me if you like.